Sunday, December 21, 2008

Grandma lives in the toilet

We had a banner day at the McCorkle household...

Mary and I were lying in bed discussing the finer points of parenthood this morning, while the little kids were running in and out of our room playing... then silence...

...then a flush...

...a long flush...

...then an "uh-oh" accompanied by the trickling sounds of water. I was pretty sure I knew what that was.

I jumped up and quickly walked to the bathroom where I saw Adam & Grace staring at the oval waterfall splashing down around their feet. Then a synchronized glance up to my disapproving face followed by another innocent "uh-oh".

Luckily the water creeping toward my feet was sans #2... in fact there was no indication that anything but water was now soaking my socks.

I gave them both a quick scolding that caused Grace to cry and Adam to give me a blank stare and another "uh-oh".

A few plunges and the remaining water went down.

While cleaning up Mary and I hypothesized about what was now living in the septic tank...

a fruitbar - too small
lots of toilet paper - no, there would have been residual tp

hmmm...

Fast forward to this evening, while Mary and I were preoccupied with household duties; Adam & Grace again found themselves with their new porcelain toy. This time however, Mary happened to be in the bathroom.

All of a sudden bloop went "Papa Ron" into the toilet.

Note: Adam & Grace have a bus and toy plane, respectively, that have little people that fit inside them. They have named all of the little people after family members...

So little toy Papa Ron is now going all Michael Phelps in the toilet... going for the yellow, er gold.

*DING* goes the light bulb

After the second potty lesson of what will and will not and should and should not go into and down the toilet, Mary and I began to take a mental inventory of all the little plastic family members and their possible locations.

Papa Ron - check
Nanny - check
Daddy - check
Grandma... Grandma... Grandma... hmmmmmm

So it is my deepest sympathy that I have to report that Grandma now lives in the septic tank. Unfortunately we have no concrete proof of her missing status. But, as of this writing her where-abouts are unknown and she is presumed... well swimming with the brown trout... (sorry)

Hopefully the two scoldings taught them a valuable lesson... don't get caught flushing little plastic family members down the toilet.

No comments: